Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Not So Fun Part

I am learning that just because God calls you to something, it is not always easy. Randy and I have both had a hard week this week. The stress of actually getting 6 people to Mozambique - booking flights, PAYING for flights, transferring money from savings and watching it disappear in a swipe of the debit card is just plain hard. Realizing that keeping our home long-term is not practical - hard. Knowing that we will dismantle a home and all of our belongings in a few months - hard.

I know God is doing a major work in both of us. He is stripping away EVERYTHING that we have clung to for security and provision. He is putting us in a place of total dependence on Him. And, He is doing all of this because He loves us. I am realizing that what He is wanting to do in us and through us will require a vulnerability that I have never wanted to walk in. There is a selfishness in me that can't be there anymore if He is to be glorified.

Many of our friends are only a few years away from retirement. We are using a lot of our retirement savings just to go to country we have never been before and do a job we have never done before. We are leaving life-long friends to be with a people foreign to us. We are leaving some of our own precious children for months at a time to minister to other children half a world away.

I am really not angry or upset, but just being honest about our journey. People ask us daily how to pray for our family. Pray that we become dependent and vulnerable. Pray that we are changed forever. Pray that God has His way with our family and with the people of Africa. Pray that we learn how to handle "hard" with a joy that cannot be explained. And know that when this walk with the Lord seems hard, He is showing His faithfulness and love with every step.

6 comments:

  1. Hey! Im sure it will work out great to get you all here...have your flights been booked already? If not, the Raptim Travel group is AWESOME. they deal specifically with mission groups, missionaries and humanitarian aid and often get awesome prices, as well as higher baggage limits free of charge for us. We deal with Menno Travel out of British Columbia, but they are just the Canadian arm of the Raptim Group.
    As far as Tendai's orphanage, they dont really do adoptions, (ours is the first from that orphanage if it goes thru) as the orphanage is really a "baby home" where infants and toddlers stay until they are old enough to be cared for by a family member or in some cases, their fathers. Often the mothers die and leave a young infant in need of milk which cant be provided. Or a family member is not willing or able to care for an infant, but stays in contact and then will take the child in when they are older. Not a perfect situation, but it helps keep kids in their family groups in the long term and helps make sure babies are not being abandoned or sold. Tendai was unique in that she had no other family willing or able to take care of her, and her great grandmother did not feel she would be able to come back in several years since the gg was so old. We are so blessed to have her! The other issue is that adoptions by foriegners are almost undheard of if the people are not going to be LIVING in mozambique.. VERY long term. You have to have a DIRE (resident visa) to even think about applying to adopt. There are state orphanages, but the openess to adoption varies greatly from province to province (ours is "fairly" open although hardly anyone has tried) Maputo and Sofala provinces not nearly as open... others i dont know.
    Pemba is QUITE a long ways from where we are.. but if you have to travel by road to maputo or to Beira then you have to pass within a few hours of us. Anyhew, blessings as you keep on keeping on!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, sweet Mary.....I can't tell you the depth of admiration I have for you! Thanks for being so transparent....helps me stay on my knees for you. We are one of those approaching retirement, building a home that will be a refuge for us and our children. You, on the other hand, are giving up your home, your security and leaning on God alone as your refuge. But, God is smiling down on you girl....He is so honored to be your God, to see your willingness to let go of it all and follow. It will be an amazing ride! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! I saw Missy's status updates about your family and she told me about your blog. I spent a year in South Africa after I graduated from DBU. Anyway, the majority of our ministry was done in Mozambique and I miss it EVERY DAY! You are going to LOVE the people, especially the children. I know it's hard now and your heart is torn, but once you meet those kids you will fall in love with them, I know you will! Anyway, I just wanted to give you some encouragement. I understand how hard it is to say goodbye and believe me it will only get harder, BUT it is so worth it! I can't wait to read more about your journey and my husband and I will definitely be praying for you!

    Philippians 3:13-14 "Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus"

    By the way, I like your book list, I read several of those in college. Looks like some great reading before your big trip!

    -Stephanie (Brasher) Beetge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you shared your heart! It is all just excess baggage. I know you will do a great work for Him. Is this your first time living outside the US?
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You amaze me, Mary! I am humbled and challenged to be all that God wants me to be.

    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just want to wish ALL of you guys the best, you will be on my family's hearts and minds as you enter this new and exciting stage. What you guys are doing is going to touch people not only abroad but at home as well. We already think so much of you guys for taking such a bold step in faith and are looking forward to following you along the journey. Will miss Matt as he joins you all but am so excited for him as it really is a unique opportunity.

    Best wishes, look forward to being able to pray for your family and journey in the coming months.

    With love,

    Barrett & Tiffany Sims

    ReplyDelete